Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Share Button

Developments on the Campsite

Two new hard standings were put down along the garden fence. We didn’t have enough plastic underlay but put down what we had and covered it with all the road planings we had left. There was just enough.

Three new electrical hookups on one base were erected adjacent to the above. This had to be linked up with the electrical supply that goes into the main campsite. We had to lay another cable to the hookup stand.

The Disabled Toilet

This has been further delayed because of the fitting of a new wider door, which was finally done during the second week in April.

The basic electrical wiring has been put it but is not functional as yet

We tried to tidy the site around the unfinished disabled toilet so that it would not look like a building site during the Easter period. This involved moving bags of sand etc with a matbro tractor, and putting them behind the fence.

We have also landscaped around the disabled toilet with sleepers. The lower part will be filled with gravel and the area next to the sleepers on the higher level will be turfed and shrubs will be planted in the area.

Maintenance on the Campsite

New floor covering was put down in the cabin because some of the carpet had got wet during the winter. There wasn’t enough to do the whole area. Perhaps another offcut will be bought next year to finish the job.

Two new bigger boards were put up about the campsite to display signs around the water etc.

PAT Testing

This has to be done every year by an electrician to make sure that any equipment that is used by campers and caravanners is safe. This was done at the beginning of April. All the electrical hookups have to be tested every year too, with the certificate sent to the Camping and Caravan Club. The next test is due in June.

The Farm

The second batch of lambing has just finished. Some lambs had to go out into the field at a day old so they were given red plastic coats to wear to keep them warm.

After the continuous wet weather it was inevitable that drains would be blocked and ditches and fields flooded. It was necessary to buy a 6 metre length pipe with a 30 cm diameter to replace a much narrower one under a gateway. Part of the ditch had to be dug out again to make sure that the water flowed easily. Bringing back this long pipe on the roofrack from Chard travelling at 30 pmh caused a lot of amusement from other drivers on the road.

The Dorset Wild Life Trust spent another day clearing undergrowth and small to medium trees in order to let additional light into the River Char to encourage more wildlife.

The wild daffodils will be going over soon but have been a beautiful sight during the last few weeks. We have them along the river banks of the orchards particularly on the banks of one of the tributaries of the River Char which rises on Pilsdon Hill, the highest point in Dorset. This waterway was dug out to a depth of 6 ft in the 1700s to form a leet of water to run an undershoot wheel for a Flax/Hemp mill.

Beekeeping

A new bee site is being developed alongside another tributary to the River Char on the bank of the new orchard. After strimming the area, cement blocks had to be laid down then a slab placed on top. The hives will arrive in May. This stream was dug out deeper to a depth of 6 ft centuries ago to be part of the water system for the sheep wash, with hatches along its course.

Share Button