Share Button


August has been very busy on the campsite, being full to capacity for the first 12 days of the month. One of the orchards has been opened up and several campers have used this site (1). As usual this has to be mown on a regular basis (2). One caravanner brought half her garden with her (3) which made an interesting sight. Another person took to hanging her washing on the hedge which made a change from a rotary washing line (4). Yet another had solar panels for their electricity and also a solar heated shower bag (5 and 6) We have had several visits from members of the Marine Conservation Society whereby volunteers adopt a beach and then clean and survey a measured length of it. The couple involved have worked on Seaton beach several times this year. (7) Window cleaning on the cabin has to be done several times a year (8). I had the fencing around the electrical hookups at the top of the field reinforced and the barbed wire taken away for health and safety reasons (9). I also had two new blue towel dispenser put in the cabin to save on so many toilet rolls being used (10). Removal of rubbish has to be done at least once a day (11).


I have been giving conducted walks on a Sunday whilst the cows and calves are in one of the fields which is out of bounds to caravanners for safety reasons. During one of these walks some of the children had fun on a car tyre swing near the River Char (12). We continue to pull up Himalayan Balsam whenever we find it on the river banks (13) Unfortunately not all landowners are so conscientious and in some places it is running wild. In the orchards we have what I call geriatric apple trees which fell over years ago, but have been left to their own devices and have sent roots down from the trunks to regenerate and continue to survive for 50 years or more (14). On the other hand I have taken cuttings from old apple varieties and grafted them onto root stocks to create new trees. After doing this they spent two years in the garden and then are planted out into the orchard with a protective fence around them (15). We have piles of old wood from trees that were cut down gradually rotting away which creates an ideal habitat for minibeasts (16) Some of the lambs born this year were heavy enough to be sent to market which meant we had to be up at 5 to get them on the cattle lorry (17 and 18) Annually we have to clear out the manure from the covered yard where the cattle spent the winter and then spread it on the fields (19) It is necessary to put 2 ear tags on each new born calf (20) which means putting them through a cattle crush. Some of the older cattle had lost their tags during the winter so had to have replacements put it, which sometimes caused for some drastic action with ropes to get the job done. (21)


My husband has been travelling all over the place moving bees to suitable sites to collect nectar from different crops and then bringing home full supers of honey. We had Emily and William helping us in the honey house with organising the jars (22 and 23)


During the summer holidays I have had a lot of help from children from the campsite with the daily feeding and watering (24) Emily and William helped spread sawdust for the bedding in the goose house (25) and Mia became expert at taking the big group of goslings to their grass in the morning (26)


The garden is blooming with the dahlias, sweet peas and sunflowers looking lovely (27). I had help with the black currants. After pruning off a third of each black currant bush (to leave the newer branches) Emily helped me pick them ready for the freezer (28).


There was the local fete in July which had lots of stalls including the tombola and finding an unbroken egg in a tray. Skittles is always a popular sport at this event when a heavy wooden ball is thrown with force to attempt to knock down all nine skittles in one go (29 and 30). Shave Cross Marathon is a very local event and celebrated its 65th birthday this year. A number of happenings occurred during the first week in August including a coffee morning, car boot sale, treasure hunt, flower show and a mini marathon whereby runners travelled through the lanes and over the fields. The marathon attracted 205 runners and the winner was a local man from Bradpole. (31) There was just enough time to have a children’s race whilst waiting for the marathon runners to return which attracted a lot of competitors (32). The biggest event was the twinning of Lyme Regis and Bermuda. Sir George Somers lived at Berne Manor in Whitchurch (33) and was mayor of Lyme Regis for a time. He “discovered” Bermuda in the early 1600s and claimed it for Britain. Unfortunately during his second visit to Bermuda he died of “surfeit of pig” (food poisoning?). His heart was buried at St Georges, Bermuda and his body was pickled in rum in a barrel and brought back to England and buried under the vestry at Whitchurch church. The day’s happenings included a procession of dignatories from the Twinning, with Morris Dancers (34) and Majorettes (35) through Lyme Regis to the world famous Cobb. I was involved because I am a parish councilor for the Char Valley Parish Council. After speeches we proceeded back to the Pilot Boat for a sumptuous lunch before going to Berne Manor whereby “George Somers” (36) gave a speech. The day finished with a special service at Whitchurch church, a “cry” from St George’s Town Cryer (37) and tea.

As there is only one photo of me in the newsletters I have written so far I thought I would include the caricature of me (which was done of me at the Whitchurch fete) so that readers can have a rough idea of what to expect!


Share Button